For a lot of women everyday make-up means doing up their eyes – either with a swipe of kohl or an eyeliner. If done the right way, it can be dressy enough without the hassle of making you spend too much time in front of the mirror as you grapple with rushed mornings. Eyeliner is used to make the eyes more prominent and create an illusion of thicker lashes. You can achieve a range of looks with eyeliners, so always keep this multi-tasker at hand.
Types Of Eyeliners:
- Gel Eyeliner:A new entrant in the market, it is thick in texture and is applied with a stiff angled brush. Compared to pencil liners, gel liners are gentler on the eyes as they don’t pull the skin while being applied. My Picks: MAC and Lancome.
- Pencil Eyeliner:These have been used for long and find favor with a majority of women. They can be powder or wax-based. I would advise using cream pencil liner, as it is easy to apply. My Picks: L’Oreal Paris, Revlon, ColorBar, Chambor and MAC.
- Kohl Eyeliner:Kohl has been used for centuries now. Home-made kohl is the safest option for eye-makeup. Herbal kohls by Biotique, Himalaya Herbals and Shahnaz Hussain are also healthy. The only problem with kohl is that it gets smudged easily. My Picks: Diana of London, Chambor and Lancome.
- Liquid Eyeliner:Use it if you want to create a dramatic yet defined look. Not many people prefer liquid liner as it is difficult to apply. My Pick: Lancome, Artliner, Lakme and L’Oreal Paris.
- Glitter Eyeliner:It is popular with young girls. It comes in a tube and contains chunky, shimmery particles. Use it directly or as a top-up on your regular black liner for a spicier look. My Picks: Chambor, MAC and The Body Shop.
Different Looks With Eyeliners:Follow these easy eyeliner tips that showcase your oh-so-expressive eyes.
Look 1: Daytime Casual
Line only the upper, outer eyelid.
- Dot the liner onto your top lid, getting as close to your eyelashes as possible.
- Use a cotton swab/a small make-up brush/the sponge tip that is on the opposite end of some liner pencils to blend the dots together so the make-up looks natural and almost undetectable. I like this look with no eyeshadow and no mascara.
Look 2 Perfect For Work
- Apply a neutral eye-shadow.
- Next line just the very outer corners of your upper and lower lashes, using the dot-on-then-connect method.
- Blend together the liner at the corners of your eye, in an angled V-shape.
- Smudge the liner so that a hard line is not visible.
Revlon Colorstay liner is the perfect choice for this look.
Look 3: Evening Out
- Apply a light-colored, shimmery shadow in the half of your eye.
- Next, use a darker shade from the midpoint to the edge and up to the crease.
- Now apply liner on the upper outer lid with a light hand. Use the dot method or short, quick strokes of tiny lines connected together.
- Do the same on the bottom outer lid. Smudge the line on top and bottom lids. When you use a creamy pencil liner, pair it with powdered eye-shadow for added staying power. This is another reason why eye pencils are preferred to liquid eyeliners.