All of us have some big event or the other penciled into our little black books – for some it is the annual office party, for others, it is their best friend’s wedding. But no matter what the event or where it is, we all want to feel good and look even better. Which is why we can share tips and tricks on how you can be the gal that everyone remembers and wants to get to know.
Be Picture Perfect:Feeling good will ensure you look good. Get your make-up right and wear clothes that suit you and make you feel good. Don’t be conscious, nervous or scared because this will show in your body language. Also know your best angles for great pictures that will flatter you. Similarly, when you do your hair for the evening, decide which side looks best and present that side to the camera. Be happy, don’t be stiff.
Tip:While facing the camera, stand at a 45 degree angle. This will ensure a slimmer you in the photograph.
Talk The Body Language:It takes only 7-10 seconds to make a first impression on anybody. When you go anywhere you need to look and sound attractive. The trick is to smile and look confident. Make sure you speak clearly. Say who you are and what you do. Keep the conversation light and upbeat – no one wants to know if you’ve lost your job or had a fight with your boyfriend or best friend.
Tip: Flattery always works, start a conversation with a compliment on how great the party is.
Speak Up:Create an image of yourself that you think best suits your personality and then develop or evolve a vocal image that best fits or enhances it. Remember that your communication reflects who you are. Your voice reflects your personality – introverted/extroverted, sympathetic/uninvolved, warm and welcoming/distant and closed. Before your night out, practice simple deep breathing exercises to relax and release tension in the upper back.
Here are a few exercises to improve modulation:
- Lie on the floor, loosen up and relax, recite some lines of poetry. Begin quietly then increase the volume as you go on, but not the pitch – always drop down to the same base note with which you started out.
- Jog heavily around the room or in one spot – speak while jogging and increase your volume without increasing your pitch.
- If you are nervous always take a deep breath before you start a conversation.
Work It Out:The best thing you can do in terms of fitness before your big event is to go for a power walk for 30 minutes. Those who like running can alternate between running and walking. Skipping is also a good cardio option. You can also do a set each of crunches, push-ups and tricep dips. Finishing your workout with a yoga session or five minutes of meditation will leave you feeling refreshed . Do your favorite ‘asana’ or a breathing exercise. And spend five minutes quietly, with yourself meditating.
Have A Slim Chance:If you want to look super slim for your event in the evening avoid salt and sugar during the day. Avoid foods that have ‘refined flour‘ and white breads or rusk. To make sure you don’t look tired and lifeless eat a lot of sprouts. Eat a lot of fruits like apples, pomegranates, pears, etc. To prevent water retention, drink herbal teas like chamomile, jasmine, basil etc. You can also drink ‘cumin (jeera)’ water to help digestion and prevent bloating. At the event choose chicken or fish dishes, cottage cheese, mushrooms or steamed momos. Avoid fried foods like cutlets, fritters, chicken lollipops and opt for anything taht is baked or steamed.
Make It Up:
- Start by applying concealer where needed and loose face powder in circular strokes with a sponge.
- Next apply a brow pencil, lightly feathering the natural shape of the brow.
- Apply black eyeliner on the lower and upper inside rims of the eye, and then smudge into the lash line.
- Add smokey black eyeshadow with a sponge tip applicator, over the smudged eye pencil.
- Add smokey grey eyeshadow at the edge of the black to soften and diffuse it.
- Curl lashes and apply black mascara to complete the eyes.
- Choose a soft pink blush for the cheeks.
- Apply lip pencil in the color closest to your skin tone and then fill in with a fresh-toned gloss.
Flash Those Pearlies:Your smile is the greatest asset, no matter where you go or how you’re dressed. Here’s a quick fix, if you have a noght out and crave shiny white pearlies – visit your dentist the day before the occasion and tell him you need a tooth bleaching gel. He will analyse your teeth, make sure there are no sensitive spots, and send you off with a custom-made ‘tray’ and gel. The gel has two-year shelf life and is available in different strengths according to your teeth. The evening before the occasion put the gel in the ‘tray’ and seep your teeth in it for 45 minutes. The effects of bleaching last for about 6months – 1 year. However this gel is not suitable for pregnant women and children below the age of 14.
Tip: Want to really shine? After the bleach avoid red wine and highly colored foods.
- Makeup Tips For Different Occasions (www.101beautysalon.com)
- Match Your Makeup With Your Outfit (www.101beautysalon.com)
- Make-Up Girl (jwdwrites.wordpress.com)
- How to tie your bow tie before the big night! Preparing for the… (bafta-film.tumblr.com)