What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff, simply is the normal dead skin tissue flaking from our scalps. This is a natural monthly cycle during which the dead cells come to the top of the head. However, regular dandruff is hardly visible, except in unwashed hair.
Types Of Dandruff:
There are mainly two types of dandruff:
1. Dry Dandruff: This is the most common form and gets worse in winter due to the generally dry weather conditions. It can be itchy.
2. Sticky Dandruff:This type is more common in summer and can also be accompanied by small boils on the scalp.
Anti-Dandruff Shampoos – A Study:
2. Active Ingredient: Ketoconazole / Example Of Product: Nizoral
Ketoconazole is also used in combination with other drugs such as Zinc Pyrithione in rinse-off products. The anti-dandruff shampoo is designed for people who have a more serious case of dandruff where symptoms include, but are not limited to constant, nonstop flaking, and severe itchiness.
Selenium disulfide is sold as an antifungal agent in shampoos for the treatment of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis associated in the scalp with Malassezia genus fungi. In the United States, a 1% strength is available over-the-counter, and a 2.5% strength is also available with a prescription.
4. Active Ingredient: Tea Tree Oil / Example Of Product: Himalaya Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Shampoo with 5% tea tree oil has been shown to be an effective treatment for dandruff due to its ability to treat Malassezia furfur, the most common cause of the condition.
5. Active Ingredient: Tar / Example Of Product: Neutrogena T (Gel)
T/Gel is a medicated shampoo produced by Neutrogena. It reduces psoriasis, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis , and DHT levels. Its primary active ingredient is coal tar.
6. Active Ingredient: Piroctone Olamine / Example Of Product: Kaya anti-dandruff lotion
Highly effective in reducing the dandruff. However, the combination of piroctone olamine and salicylic acid is slightly more effective than zinc pyrithione in reducing the severity and area affected by the scaling.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight, make a paste and apply on scalp for 20 minutes and then wash off with shampoo. Do this twice a week to keep your scalp free of dandruff and also your hair well conditioned.
- Emulsion made with sandalwood oil and lemon juice is very effective. 1 part of sandalwood oil should be mixed with three parts lemon juice.
- Mix juice of half a lemon with 2 tsp of olive oil or almond oil. Massage on scalp for 10 minutes. Rinse off with shampoo.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 tea cups of water. After cooling and filtering, use it for rinsing hair.
You can simply remove dandruff by keeping your scalp clean and regularly shampooing with an anti-dandruff shampoo which suits you best. However, in case of excessive dandruff, especially the sticky variety, one needs to consult a dermatologist.
- Hair Problems And Solutions (www.101beautysalon.com)
- Get Rid Of All Hair Problems (www.iconclave.com)
- DANDRUFF (SEBORRHEA), Causes, Condition and Treatment Options (anujforchange.wordpress.com)
- Dry Scalp and Dandruff: What’s Causing Those Flakes? (everydayhealth.com)
- Dandruff Treatment Effective home remedies for Dandruff Control (leenakiri.typepad.com)
- home remedies for dandruff (harikrishnamurthy.wordpress.com)
- 9 Natural Dandruff Treatments That Really Work (themodelstage.com)